The theological perspective of what it means to adhere to the Christian Faith, or the divine perspective as opposed to the human or anthropological dimension, mentioned in the preceding section of this site was only touched upon in the biblical message titled, Croire, savoir, confiance et foi chrétienne (pdf).
As in the sections of my master’s degree thesis where my relationship to faith and truth is mentioned, the above mentioned biblical presentation does not deal with the specific contents that connect faith to the objective reality to which it responds. This gap is now filled with Habakuk – la foi au Maître de l’univers (pdf).
For a presentation of the basic constituents that disinguish the Christian faith from other forms of belief, please consult the six lessons of the course titled The Apostles’ Creed proposed by Third Millenium Ministries. Or learn about the Christian Faith through the question and answer approach of the Christian Reformed Heidelberg Catechism.
You are more inclined to ask questions such as “Was Jesus a real person?” “Is Jesus God?” “Are the Gospels true or are there other more reliable sources concerning Jesus?” “Was there some sort of conspiracy involved in the development of Christianity?” “Did Jesus rise from the dead?” “Is Jesus relevant today?” The Y-Jesus Web site presents the facts about Jesus from a scholarly perspective. Carefully reading its contents and thinking through its arguments may lead you to a better understanding of who Jesus is.
Most of the following external links are exclusively presented to the English version of www.savoiretcroire.ca. They are selected because of their contribution in shedding light on key aspects of the Christian faith that are sometimes misunderstood.
- Can God Be Trusted? 1/2, John Stackhouse, April 1, 2010;
- Can God Be Trusted? 2/2, John Stackhouse, April 1, 2010;
- Grace is not earned. It’s offered, Andy Stanley, August 18, 2011;
- Ten Things Jesus Never Said, Will Davis, January 17, 2012;
- God I’ve Got a Question, Dr. James Merritt, September 30, 2011.
Again from http://www.100huntley.com (Video -> Search) :
- The Unshakable Truth That Josh McDowell Believes – 1/2, August 9, 2010;
- The Unshakable Truth That Josh McDowell Believes – 2/2, August 9, 2010;
- Josh McDowell: Truth Is Absolute Not Subjective – 1/10, August 16, 2010;
- Josh McDowell: Defining Truth – 2/10, August 16, 2010;
- It Isn’t an Intellectual Problem, It’s A Morality Problem – 3/10, August 16, 2010;
- Josh McDowell: Having Hope In Our Heavenly Father – 4/10, August 17, 2010;
- Josh McDowell: The Theology Of Forgiveness – 5/10, August 18, 2010;
- Josh McDowell: Resurrection – 6/10, August 18, 2010;
- Who Is The Holy Spirit And Why Is He Important? – 7/10, August 19, 2010;
- Josh McDowell: Growth and Avoiding Troubles In Ministry – 8/10, August 19, 2010;
- Josh McDowell: What Jesus Claimed – 9/10, August 20, 2010;
- Josh McDowell: Helping Those In Russia In Ministry – 10/10, August 20, 2010;
Short Specific presentations of key aspects of the Christian Faith from Josh McDowell at http://www.100huntley.com (Video -> Search) :
- God Exists – Josh McDowell – Truth To Go, August 4, 2010;
- The Sin Problem – Josh McDowell – Truth To Go, August 6, 2010;
- The Incarnation – Josh McDowell – Truth To Go, August 9, 2010;
- The Holiness Of God – Josh McDowell – Truth To Go, August 11, 2010;
- Saved By Faith? – Josh McDowell – Truth To Go, August 11, 2010;
- Why In The World Are We Here? – Josh McDowell – Truth To Go, August 13, 2010;
- The Resurrection Of Jesus – Josh McDowell – Truth To Go, August 30, 2010;
- The Trinity – Josh McDowell – Truth To Go, August 31, 2010;
- God’s Kingdom – Josh McDowell – Truth To Go, September 1, 2010;
- The Church – Josh McDowell – Truth To Go, September 1, 2010.
From David Whiting – pastor of Northridge Church, Rochester, NY – these messages provide a more comprehensive view of Christianity than the shorter videos above. They may also help lift misconceptions of how faith and doubt relate to one another:
- Understanding Christianity (this video was moved to a location we could not find);
- How Should I Handle Doubts? (this video was moved to a location we could not find)
- The Basics of the Gospel.
Readers that are philosophically inclined, or that have to cope with the apparently logical arguments of people in their surroundings who do not find it reasonable to believe in God, may be interested in listening to the following presentations :
- Ravi Zachariah, Is Faith Delusional?
- John Lennox and Ravi Zacharia, Is Faith Delusional?
- Ravi Zachariah and John Lennox Respond to Stephen Hawking;
- Ravi at Princeton University, Why I’m Not an Atheist., followed by Open forum QA.
The first was part of a series that appear to no longer be available free of charge on the web. The second and third were discovered as I was searching for the former series of files. Both are complementary in their dealing with arguments brought against the validity of Faith.
Apart from what you heard so far, it remains hard for you to embrace the Christian Faith? Ravi Zachariah’s Just thinking podcasts from RZIM just might be helpful to you:
- Barriers to belief, part 1;
- Barriers to belief, part 2;
- Barriers to belief, part 3;
- Barriers to belief, part 4.
Books, tracts, sermon notes, and sermons from John Piper of Desiring God, present Christianity from a perspective called christian hedonism, according to which “God’s passion to be glorified and our passion to be satisfied are one experience in the Christ-exalting act of worship”, and “[t]he pleasure Christian Hedonism seeks is the pleasure that is in God Himself.” (John Piper, 2003, Desiring God, Meditations of a Christian Hedonist, Multonah Publishers, Sisters, Oregon, p. 12, p. 24) :
- Quest: Joy! Found: Christ! John Piper,
Easter Sunday sermon, April 20, 2003;
- Quest for Joy – Six Biblical Truths, written summary, January 1, 1995,
refered to by the above sermon and by the series of sermon that immediately follow;
- Quest for Joy, a series of six sermons, John Piper, January to March 1989,
concluded with Easter Sunday Sermon Irrevocable Joy;
- You Will Know the Truth and the Truth Will Set You Free, John Piper,
Easter Sunday sermon, April 23, 2011;
- I Have Seen the Lord, John Piper, Easter Sunday sermon, April 12, 2009;
- The Gospel of John, a series of 70 sermons, by John Piper, from 2008 to 2012;
- Let Us Walk in the Light: 1 John, a series of 14 sermons, by John Piper, 1985.
You wish to get involved and discuss about life-related subject matters, feel free to join our trilingual Community of dialog about the Christian Faith (French, English, Spanish).
Daniel Garneau, B Th, B Com, MA.
May 2016; November 2017; January 2018; July 2018; February 15, 2019.