The current section, Bible Study Material, of www.savoiretcroire.ca, supports and extends what is said in Knowing the Word of God. It proposes expository sermon notes, questions to encourage sharing about the themes developed in corresponding Bible expositions, and suggestions about how to prepare for leading or taking part in small group gathering for sharing together in a Bible Study framework.
The original text of this page has not been translated yet. It can be consulted in French only, under Matériel pour l’étude de la Bible – to view a detailed status of translation to English of this site’s web pages, please visit Site Updates. On the other hand, the material that follows is currently available only in the present English language section of this site.
To read the Bible on line and to have access to Bible study help requiring various degrees of background knowledge, you may want to visit the following Web sites:
- http://www.biblegateway.com – also presented on page Knowing the Word of God of www.savoiretcroire.ca – this site allows reading the Bible or listening to it in one of several languages (ex: English, Spanish, French, Chinese, Arabic, German, Tagalog, Swahili, Latin, Hebrew and Greek Old Testament, Koine New Testament), and versions (ex: New International Version, Nueva Versión Internacional, Segond 21). It also provides complementary tools to help studying the Bible.
- http://biblehub.com provides access to an equally impressive list of languages and versions of the Bible, but is more focused on comparing between Bible versions. It provides more sophisticated tools for Bible study. Some of these presuppose that the user has background knowledge of the Bible itself and of the languages in which it was originally written. Previous acquaintance with Strong’s concordance system of reference and other classical study material is sometimes needed.
As you start studying the Bible, it may be helpful to also listen to some of the short video presentations available from http://www.biblestudytools.com –> Study –> Video:
- Bible Study Minute: Getting Started with Bible Study, John UpChurch, March 2014 (relocated on genfb.com, August 2017; no longer available, October 2018);
- Bible Study Minute: Bible Basics,
John UpChurch, February 11, 2014 (relocated on GodTube, August 2017);
- Bible Study Minute: What is the Bible all about?
John UpChurch, December 9, 2014;
- Bible Study Minute: Don’t Just Read, John UpChurch, July 8, 2014;
- Bible Study Minute: The Bible is Alive, John UpChurch, October 14, 2014;
- Bible Study Minute: Keep it in context, John UpChurch, November 12, 2014;
- Bible Study Minute: How do I find time to study the Bible?
John UpChurch, May 2014;
- What Is Unique about the Book of Genesis?
(now on GodTube by BibleStudyTools.com), Byron Yawn, December 30, 2013;
- What’s the significance of the book of Genesis? Paul Lamey, March 28, 2014
(this video presentation has been moved and is apparently no longer available online);
- How Do We See Christ in the Old Testament? Vern Poythress, June 2, 2013 (relocated on GodTube, August 2017);
- What are the Psalms? Josh Moody, January 13, 2014;
- What’s Unique about Psalm 119? David Teems, January 7, 2014;
- What Is the Message of the Gospel of Matthew?
(stored on GodTube by BibleStudyTools.com), Paul Lamey;
- What Are the Five Discourses of the Book of Matthew?
Paul Lamey, November 21, 2014;
- What can we learn specifically from the book of Matthew?
Paul Lamey, March, 2014 (relocated on GodTube, August 2017);
- What Is the Message of the Four Gospels and Acts?
Jim Hamilton, November 29, 2013;
- What is the purpose of the book of Romans? Colin Smith, February 10, 2014;
- What’s the Message of the Book of 1 Corinthians?, Philip Nation, July 5, 2013;
- What Is the Purpose of the Book of Ephesians? Ron Jones, February 21, 2014;
- What’s the book of Philippians all about? Ben Gutierrez, September 12, 2014 (relocated on GodTube, August 2017);
- What Is the Book of 1 Peter All About? Byon Yawn, July 10, 2013.
The seminary course He Gave Us Scripture: Foundations of Interpretation, graciously offered online by Third Millennium Ministries, provides a systematic view of biblical hermeneutics – the art and science of biblical interpretation. This material can be helpful in guiding us through a path toward becoming able of finding out what the Bible has to say.
Having listened to many of the above videos, you may want to expand your understanding of the Bible by listening to some of the full blown biblical messages from teachers and pastors that consider the Bible as the Word of God intended to be applied to our lives.
Sermons from David Whiting, pastor of Northridge Church, Rochester, NY:
- How to Handle Difficult Bible Passages, biblical message, Oct 27, 2013.
John Piper’s sermons available from Desiring God:
- The Gospel of John, 70 Sermons, John Piper, 2008-2012;
- Romans: The Greatest Letter Ever Written, 225 Sermons, John Piper, 1998-2006;
- Galatians: Broken by His Cross, Healed by His Spirit, 23 sermons, John Piper, 1983;
- The Book of Hebrews, a series of 52 sermons, John Piper, 1996-1997;
- Grow in the Grace & Knowledge of Christ: 1 Peter, 33 sermons, J. Piper, 1993-1994;
- Precious and Magnificent Promises: 2 Peter, a series of 9 sermons, John Piper, 1982;
- Let Us Walk in the Light of God: 1 John, a series of 14 sermons, John Piper, 1985.
You wish to get involved and discuss about life-related subject matters, feel free to join our trilingual Community of dialog about the Christian Faith (French, English, Spanish).
You may communicate with me through the indications under Questions or Comments.
Daniel Garneau, B Th, B Com, MA.
Updated: June 2016; August 2017; November 2017; January and October 2018.